Monday, September 13, 2010

Crackeroni and Cheese

I'll be honest: for me, the elbow macaroni in macaroni and cheese had, in the past, really just served as a vector for the melted cheesy goodness. Tonight, craving that same warm cheesy goodness, I took one look at the yellow squash in my fridge, and tossed caution to the wind. This was a hit with my preschooler, so I packed some in her lunchbox for tomorrow. (My husband still had the steak and salad written up in the menu plan.)

You could cook the squash even less if you are looking for a more "al dente" texture - the below recipe, which comes together in about 10 minutes, results in very tender pieces.

Oh, and adding bacon? Resulted in the crack-like addictive taste.


Crackeroni and Cheese
Serves 2 very generously

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter (I used salted Kerrygold)
2 small yellow squashes, diced into thin 1 inch long slices (about elbow macaroni size)
1" wedge brie, trimmed of rind, cubed into small 1/2" pieces
1/4 c. crumbled gorgonzola
2 tablespoons crumbled bacon (= 2-4 cooked strips' worth, depending on your desired baconishness)

Directions:
Melt butter on medium high heat, and add squash. Sautee for 5 minutes, or until squash pieces start to turn translucent. Stir in pieces of brie and crumbled gorgonzola, and stir vigorously until cheese is well-melted throughout. Add bacon pieces and serve immediately.

15 comments:

  1. This was good! I used turkey bacon instead of regular and Mexican cheese instead of the gorgonzola (didn't want to make a special shopping trip).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heading out to get some yellow squash this instant! This is just what I'm craving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think this would work with zucchini, instead of yellow squash? I'm looking forward to trying tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Maryanne! I think that zucchini would be a great stand-in. Watch it closely while you stir so that you pull it off the heat when the pieces are a little too firm for your liking; by the time that you get them on your plate at the table the residual steam will have made them as soft as you prefer! Good luck, and let me know how it goes with the substitution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh zucchini would be great (as said above)! and your recipe looks amazing! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup...still crack-a-licious with the zucchini! Great post. I made this for my 2-year-old last night and he loved it. The hubby didn't eat it though. I made the mistake of telling him that it was zucchini, just as he was about to take a bite. Oh well - more for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This. Was. Incredible. Thank you for posting this! I'm within my first month of eating primally and I must say, I miss my occasional mac & cheese-as-comfort-food treat. This was even better than my favorite indulgence from my pre-primal days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yayyyy!! I'm so glad that you guys liked it! :-D Thanks for the feedback - it really brightened my night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH.My.GOODNESS. WOW. This is AMAZING!!!!!! Thank you so much, we have been stuck in a rut on food lately. This was the perfect thing to kickstart something different. VERY GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm...if I use zucchini, I have everything I need to make this TODAY! Whoo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...looks like a great recipe to test out on the family! I am really missing the cheesy goodness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck - let me know how things turn out for you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. CAULIFLOWER. It is JUST like macaroni!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy yummy, added beefalo for a cheezey Beef and Mac substitute and it was fantastic. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I cherish your comments, each and every one!

Please note that comments that are off-topic or of a gratuitously promotional nature will not be published. Also, for reasons of privacy, comments with my name or family members' names will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...