Friday, August 12, 2011

Finding My Game Face


I am now signed up for my local Crossfit's intro class, due to take place at the end of the month, and let me tell you: I. am. TERRIFIED. The night that I wrote an email to claim my spot, I sat there with my cursor over the send button, completely psyching out. (My husband was greatly humored by this.)

The reply email the next morning was very encouraging, and since I had asked about how to prepare for the intro class the instructor wrote that I should come with my game face on.

My game face.

Do I even have a game face?

Here's what I think of when I think of a good game face:

And yes, my aggregate definition of "game face" is a bunch of closely-shaven or bald male action heroes, a coupla Starbucks, Sarah Connor, and a Picard and a Gandalf for good measure.

I was your typical tries-hard-and-shows-up second string athlete from childhood through college. Lotsa participation trophies along the way. I've never been strong enough, fast enough, or coordinated enough to meet the varsity cut. What on earth has made me think that I can hack it next to seasoned Crossfitters RXing their workouts?

This time, I hope that a couple of things might be different.
  1. I've got some solid nutrition on my side. No processed foods or junk foods. My diet is no longer anchored by empty calories in the form of grains and sugar. Quality, nutrient-dense fuel has to count for something, right?
  2. I'm paying them to oversee the remaking of me as better, faster, stronger. Crossfit's core is helping people to improve in all aspects of fitness, and they do so by recording how fast you can complete a set of exercises well, or how much weight you can lift in a particular lift while maintaining good form. In other words, unlike many a varsity coach whose only goal is improving the talents of his varsity athletes in order to win a championship, Crossfit meets you where you are and demands a bit more from you every day. How do I know this? Just ask amazing AndreAnna.
I'm kind of in the middle of personal bucket list development, but one of the main things on my bucket list is: Do a genuine pull-up. Yup, never done a pull-up before. And guess what? If I'm ever going to do one, I've got to get leaner and stronger.

So, in sum, I'm not a badass, but I want to be. Crossfit, here I come!

12 comments:

  1. I was thinking about contacting a few of the Crossfit gyms in my area before I found out I was expecting. It sounds really hard, but it would be wonderful to discover I actually have physical ability when I'm treating my body right.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! My goal is to do an unassisted pullup, too. Gotta just keep practicing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOT! Congratulations! Super excited for you. Have a totally kickass time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just did this too!

    I had my baseline assessment on Tuesday and start this coming Tuesday. Every Crossfit box is a little different, and I'm pumped to be part of Core Crossfit Phoenix. Good luck to you! And keep us all updated. I was terrified to go in (after trying a complimentary class at my local Lululemon) but it was worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO PROUD OF YOU!!! You will do great and "game face" is just a phrase, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will be overwhelmed by the support and encouragement you get. And will get your pull up in under 6 months if you go 3 x weekly. Been cross fitting 3 years, coaching 6 months and still don't have a hand stand push up. No need to go RX'd, just go.
    Read this and pay special attention to Peggy Baker - she's my new crush.
    http://running.competitor.com/2011/08/features/burning-runner-an-inside-look-into-crossfit-culture_34473

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats!I still havent tired it either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll do great! I joined crossfit in January of this year and I really enjoy it. It's great to work out in a group atmosphere and everyone is really nice and supportive. I always hated P.E. class in school, am really uncoordinated and have normally thought of exercise as something I should do rather than something I want to do. Crossfit is different though and it's great to see yourself do things you didn't think you could. The workouts can always be scaled to what you can do and then you build up from there. Let us know how it goes for you when you start. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your game faces. I share all of them but the girl Starbuck. Never got into that one.

    Blessings,

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will do awesome! Take a picture. I did on my first day (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollywoodcock/5286071544/) and it is totally awesome to see the transformation. The hardest part of CrossFit is showing up that first time. It only gets better! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You start slow but once you get into it Crossfit is great! Take a leap into the unknown, you'll be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy mackerel, check out Holly's photostream. Nice transformation, Holly!! Looking good! :)

    And thanks, everybody, for the very encouraging comments. You have no idea how much they've steeled my resolve in the last week!

    ReplyDelete

I cherish your comments, each and every one!

Please note that comments that are off-topic or of a gratuitously promotional nature will not be published. Also, for reasons of privacy, comments with my name or family members' names will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...