Thursday, March 8, 2012

Chili Honey Mustard Dressing


Today I had the great luck to be visited for lunch by a friend who works near our house. I have fun cooking for her and anticipating the pleasure of midday conversation with another adult.

Today's lunch was roast chicken drumsticks, baked potatoes, and a salad. I needed a dressing, and then remembered that I just happened to have an egg I had cracked open earlier that had come to room temperature. Serendipitous, no? Thus came together a tangy honey mustard dressing with just a hint of heat to liven things up.

Note: There are a lot of chili oils out there that are mostly or all soybean or canola oil. Instead, read labels carefully and try to find 100% olive oils that are chili infused. I found mine used in this recipe at my local Bloom grocery store.


Chili Honey Mustard Dressing
Dresses one large family style salad


Ingredients:
1 egg, at room temperature
2 tablespoons chili-infused olive oil, also room temperature
    --> If you don't have this you could instead do 2 T. room temp olive oil with 1 t. chili powder.
1/2 oil-soaked chili pepper
    --> These came in the olive oil I had on hand, I used half of one that was pinkie finger sized.
          You could otherwise probably use 1/2 of a small fresh chili pepper.

1.5 tablespoons plain yellow mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon tamari (I used San-J, but you could also sub coconut aminos)
2 dashes fish sauce (I used Red Boat)
2 dashes hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
1/2 large very ripe pear, or 3 sugar pears
    --> Sugar pears are the mini pears you'll be seeing in the lunches this week...I found them randomly at Sam's Club.

Directions:
Blend all ingredients thoroughly, and dress salad immediately before serving. Enjoy!

 

3 comments:

  1. Ooh that dressing sounds awesome! I make my own balsamic and ranch, but haven't tried anything more adventurous. Off to make chili honey mustard dressing I go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Let me know how it worked out, Ashley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing recipe! The mix of sweet and tangy in a dressing is intriguing, and it’s definitely going on my must-try recipe list. Thanks for shopping at Sam’s Club! – Carrie from Sam’s Club

    ReplyDelete

I cherish your comments, each and every one!

Please note that comments that are off-topic or of a gratuitously promotional nature will not be published. Also, for reasons of privacy, comments with my name or family members' names will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...